Fresh from the oven
Red Velvet CupcakesFebruary 19, 2013
These are one of the best red velvet cupcakes I’ve tried..so far, I really don’t think you could get any better!
I decided to try out a red velvet cupcake recipe, found online by Georgetown Cupcakes. I have never been to their Washington DC bakery but when I watched their series ‘DC Cupcakes’ everything they created looked so yummy!
So here is how simple this recipe is…seriously, you MUST try it (if you haven’t already!)
- 350g Caster sugar
- 400g All purpose flour / plain flour
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 170g Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 Large eggs
- 4 tbsp No-taste red food colouring
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2½ tbsp Cocoa powder (sifted)
- 367ml Whole milk (cold)
- 1½ tsp Baking soda
- 1½ Apple Cider Vinegar
- STEP 1 – Pre-heat oven to 350’f / 175’c and line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake cases.
- STEP 2 – Mix together the butter and sugar until light a fluffy (takes about 5-8 minutes)
- STEP 3 – Add the eggs one at a time and mix until blended.
- STEP 4 – In a small dish/bowl mix together the vanilla, cocoa powder and red food colouring then add to the mixture.
- STEP 5 – Sift the flour in a separate bowl.
- STEP 6 – Add the salt to the milk.
- STEP 7 – Add a third of the flour, followed by a third of the milk, and mix. Repeat. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- STEP 8 – Add the last third of the flour, followed by the last third of the milk, and mix until incorporated.
- STEP 9 – In a small bowl, add the baking soda to the apple cider vinegar. You will see the baking soda and vinegar fizz up! Mix thoroughly and add this reaction to the batter. Mix until just incorporated.
- STEP 10 – Using a standard-size ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into a cupcake pan so each well is 2/3 full.
Bake Time: 16-18 minute or until skewer comes out clean